Sunday, April 17, 2011

It was meant to be...


Yesterday was a nice sunny day in Noe Valley. So I decided it was time to get out of the house (since I broke my toe I have not been out much) and walk to my favorite doughnut shop on the corner of 24th and church to get a treat for breakfast. When the sun comes out in SF so does the whole city. The streets were crowded with people sidewalk cafes, farmers markets and all the shops had sidewalk sales. It had a great energy, so I decided to walk to Whole Foods Market and buy some stuff to make Matzo Ball Soup (first time. I will let you know how it goes).

On my way to the market I came across my favorite book store, Phoenix Books. I wanted to stop in but decided I should go to the market first and so I passed by and crossed the street into Whole Foods.

When I was done shopping I decided I wont go to the book store, I will just head home. But when I passed by, I book in there sale bin outside caught my eye and I stopped to take a look. This lead to a two hour visit in the book store. I was in the book store about to leave when I women from France comes in. She was in her mid 40. She walked over to the sale bin and picked up a book and looked at me. She then walked over to me and said here you have to read this, and handed me Corelli's Mandolin. She then told me she read it on the beaches of Spain with her brother and it just made them both cry. At which point she turned around and left the book store, not having picked up any other book. After she left I took my books including the one she handed me and I made my purchase.

Why she came in and felt she needed to hand me that book I will never know.

I still have not read the back of the book to see what it is about, I will just read it. I figure it was meant to be, so go with it.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I will let you know how the book turns out!

Cheers,

Sassi

2 comments:

tsieger said...

Isn't that crazy when life plays out like that...glad she grabbed it and gave it to you, I hear it's great!

Lynette Elisabeth Sieger said...

I love books. I would like more books. I miss those I had to temporarily leave behind :(